What is Reflexology?
If you are feeling unwell or stressed in any way you might find Reflexology useful. It is a gentle but powerful holistic (whole person) approach to achieving a state of increased well-being. It is available to anyone and is so safe that it is now widely used in hospitals, hospices and oncology departments to support the well-being of their patients. Reflexology could really help you!
Reflexology works with the natural energy of the body. This is known as Chi or Ki and, according to the traditions of Eastern medicine, normally flows in an orderly way throughout the body. The normal flow pattern is disrupted whenever injury, illness, poor nutrition or emotional distress are present.
Reflexology involves massage of pressure points of the hands, or more usually the feet, which is believed to relieve blockages in the flow and so restore the holistic balance (Body, mind and Soul)
Reflexology Sessions are from 45 minutes to one hour in duration.
Cost: £35.00 for one session or £120.00 for a block of 4 sessions.
What can Reflexology be used for?
Clients are always advised to seek medical advice for physical issues if they have not already done so. Reflexology is used as a Complementary Therapy, designed to support and assist whatever medical treatments are already in use for each client.
We have worked successfully with Reflexology for clients in many situations including the following:
General Reflexology is used to assist clients who:
- Have ongoing stress due to work, family situations, relationships, financial problems etc
- Have fear based issues such as panic attacks and trauma related disorders
- Have patterns of anxiety and chronic over-thinking/worrying
- Need post–operative support after various major surgeries
- Need support and rehabilitation after a stroke or heart attack
- Need support during chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer
- Have IBS (Chronic bowel related inflammation and pain)
- Have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or ME)
- Have various auto-Immune conditions (e.g. Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis)
- Have Fibromyalgia (Chronic pain associated with muscles and movement)
- And more! – We may be able to help you.
Reproductive Reflexology techniques are used to work with the whole body but also more specifically with the Endocrine, Nervous and Reproductive body systems to assist clients who:
- Are already pregnant–Reflexology during all stages of pregnancy can be very relaxing and beneficial
- Experience abnormal or painful menstrual cycles (PMT, PMS)
- Experience menopausal problems (Hot sweats and flushes, tiredness)
- Have Endometriosis – abdominal pain due to patches of Uterine lining migrating into the abdominal cavity
- Are struggling to conceive naturally (Sub-fertility). It may be worth trying reflexology to see if a natural method can help before resorting to the medical ways of handling this problem
(Please note that I do not deal with assisted conception but I can refer you to a suitable practitioner if that is needed).
All of these conditions are problems with normal body functions. They probably should not be as painful and distressing as they often seem to be. They may be strongly linked with underlying emotional distress which may trigger hormonal disturbances. The solution may be to encourage the body to relax and regain the ability to regulate the complex balance of the Endocrine and nervous systems. Whatever the mechanism many people gain real benefit from Reflexology.
Once again the work done is always complementary to normal medical treatments.
In some cases a doctor or midwife`s permission will be sought before Reflexology sessions are undertaken.
Reflexology Lymph Drainage
(RLD, developed and scientifically tested by Sally Kay)
RLD works with the whole body but also more specifically with the Lymphatic drainage and Immune body systems to assist clients with conditions who:
- Have mild to moderate Primary Lymphoedema (due to the absence of functioning lymph vessels, so normal drainage of tissue fluid back to the circulatory system is impaired)
- Have mild to moderate Secondary Lymphoedema following surgery for cancer or other conditions (Surgery can damage or remove lymph vessels and so impair the normal drainage function)
- Pregnancy related oedema
- Limb heaviness and distortion due to excess tissue fluid retention
- Dry, dense skin over the areas where excess tissue fluid become static
- Have chronic inflammatory conditions such as various forms of Arthritis
- Experience chronic pain with no obvious medical cause
- Have some auto-immune conditions.
All of these conditions can create physical pain or discomfort, impairment of mobility and confidence and affect choices of clothing. Medical treatment is mostly about managing the conditions. RLD can aid that management programme and may give better results than you might expect.
What Happens During A Reflexology Treatment?
No matter what the presenting problem an intake form is filled in for each new client logging details of relevant information.
The patient is then seated comfortably in a reclining chair with the shoes and socks removed if the feet are to be treated. No other clothing needs to be removed. (Please note that clean feet are very much appreciated and wipes will be available for use should you need them.)
The practitioner manipulates and massages reflex points on the feet (or hands) which relate to specific areas of the body. The sensations felt may include warmth, coolness, tingling, buzzing as energy flows re-balances and allows the natural healing mechanisms to act.
There are standards sequences of work for general reflexology but these are usually varied to meet the needs of the client on each occasion. The pressure of the work can be adjusted for comfort – reflexology does not need to be painful to be effective!
There are also sequences that are used for specialised applications such as normalising a menstrual cycle and for supporting natural conception (Reproductive Reflexology) and for reducing fluid retention for clients with Lymphoedema (Reflexology Lymph Drainage).
Clients usually relax deeply during a session. Some may sleep and then awaken feeling refreshed.
Sometimes after a session the body`s elimination systems become more active and clients may experience minor symptoms as waste material is eliminated (detoxification or healing reactions).These symptoms clear within 24-48 hours and are more likely after the first session than after subsequent sessions.
Clients report that most problems respond to Reflexology within 4-6 weekly sessions. Improvement may be sudden or more gradual so it is worth continuing for the duration of the course your therapist recommends. Subsequently many people find a maintenance level of 1 session every month is enough to maintain well-being. You may be surprised how much difference a course of Reflexology can make to how you feel about your health and your life.
The ability to heal is within you – your body and mind know what is needed to be healthy.
All you have to do is relax and allow the healing mechanisms to work for you.
Feel free to phone for a free 15 minute phone consultation to discuss your requirements, or for more information or to book an appointment.